Learn how to play Rewind on one acoustic guitar!
‘Rewind’ is a single from Paolo Nutini‘s first album ‘These Streets’. The simple chord progression hides a few extensions and variations, adding colour and tension.
Arranged for just one guitar, it is perhaps the strumming pattern, with its many up strokes, that are the most difficult to learn.
In this first video lesson, you’ll see how to play the entire song, including all chords on just one acoustic guitar.
Here are the chords for the intro/verse.
| C Cadd9 | C Cadd9 | F Fadd9 | F Fadd9 |
The pre-chorus uses two chords from outside the key, the E should have been an Em and the Dm should have been a D in order to stay in the key.
| E | Dm |
The chorus/outro sections use the standard I – V – VI – IV progression, same as ‘I’m Yours’ and another hundred (at least) hits.
| C | G | Am | F | x2
The m8 is a variation on the bridge progression, a classic VI chord with a falling bass line progression.
| Dm | E | Am Am/G | Am/F Am/E |
| Dm | E | G | G |
Notice that there are only open position chords used in the song. This is because we place the capo on fret 2. You think in G, what you hear is in the key of A.
In this video lesson, the focus is on the strumming hand. We’ll use this as well as complete TAB when we learn the song in the beginner course.
Chord extensions and slash chords
A few extensions, variations, and slash chords are to be found in ‘Rewind’, let’s go over them one by one.
- Cadd9 – This is a C chord with an added 9th, this is the note D on string two, fret 3
- Fadd9 – This is an F chord with an added 9th, this is the note G on the open third string
- E – This is a variation. From the key of C, this should have been an Em
- Am/G – This is an Am chord, with the note G in the bass. G is not part of an Am
- Am/F – This is an Am chord, with the note F in the bass. F is not part of an Am
- Am/E – This is an Am chord, with the note E in the bass. E is the 5th of an Am
You get the full lesson on how to play ‘Rewind’ with a complete TAB chart when you take the beginner course.