WONDERWALL ON ONE ACOUSTIC GUITAR
Watch this video lesson
Focusing on left hand and all chords used in this song
Learn How to play Wonderwall
On One Acoustic Guitar
I think the material is excellent. I’ve benefited so much. I’ve now begun to improvise with some confidence and have written songs that feel authentic. I can now develop musically in a broad and rich way. Your work has illuminated an exciting path forward.– Roger
‘Wonderwall’ is a single by Oasis from the hugely successful album ‘What’s The Story (Morning Glory?)’.
The song uses only chords from the key, achieving its unique sound through extensions and chord shapes that share notes.
Just like on the original recording, you must place a capo on fret two and think of it as if it was in the key of G.
In this video lesson, you’ll see how to play ‘Wonderwall’ with all its chords from beginning to end.
The intro/verse maintain the top strings on fret three throughout, creating a drone-like effect. In chord names we get this:
| Em7 G | Dsus4 A7sus4 | x3
1. | C Dsus4 | A7sus4 |
2. | Em7 G | Dsus4 A7sus4 |
The bridge starts on chord IV, goes like this:
| C Dsus4 | Em | x2
| C D | G D/F# Em Em/D | A7sus4 | A7sus4 |
The chorus contain a 2/4 bar, looks like this:
| C Em | G Em | x2 C Em |2/4 G |
Many chords have been altered in ‘Wonderwall’, it is necessary to play all these correctly as they are such a big part of the songs sound.
- Em7 – this chord is an extension of an Em, one more note has been added, the note D.
- Dsus4 – This chord has had its 3rd (F#) replaced by the 4th. This gives the chord a suspended sound.
- A7sus4 – this chord is both extended to a dom7 as well as suspended to a sus4 chord.
- D/F# – this chord has its 3rd in the bass, it binds the chords together as the bass moves down: G – D/F# – Em
- Em/D – this Em chord has a D in the bass, the note is not part of the Em chord, it’s the 7th.
The Em/D completes the descending bass line: G D/F# Em Em/D.
Get the full lesson covering chord progression, strumming patterns, key signatures and more in the beginner guitar course.